Did you hear the exciting news? Well, listen up because I’m bursting to tell you. Spa Heroes has officially rebranded as Beauty Heroes and started shipping to Canada, France, Sweden, Australia, and the UK, in addition to the U.S. Here’s what I have to say to Founder Jeannie Jarnot:
“In the world of ordinary mortals, you are a wonder woman.” ~ Queen Hippolyta, Wonder Woman’s mom
In case, you are not up to date on my gushing posts about the company formerly known as Spa Heroes (do you dig the Prince reference?), I’ll give you a brief overview about why I love this subscription box.
- Focus on one brand. Each monthly delivery devotes itself to one brand, so you get to familiarize yourself with one company exclusively and give it the attention it deserves.
- Incredible value. You receive one full-sized hero product, plus one sidekick product (sometimes a full size too!) for $39 per month. To feature in a Beauty Heroes box, each product is vetted by over 30 experts in the spa and beauty industry.
- Use Less. Love More. It’s the Beauty Heroes motto for a reason. Think: no tiny sample sizes, no extraneous packaging, no harmful ingredients—but lots to love in every box.
- Seasonal picks. Products are selected based on seasonal awareness, as well as category rotation. You won’t receive two consecutive months of hair care products or body creams. The lighter weight formulas arrived in summer for use in the warmer months.
- High performance ingredients minus the toxic chemicals. The accompanying folding card highlights the “HERO” ingredients and their function in the formula, along with a portable pocket guide explaining why the products never contain the VILLAIN (read: unsafe) ingredients.
- True partnership. Beauty Heroes partners with every brand and pays them for participation. Compensation is almost unheard of in a subscription box and speaks highly of the company’s values. Sometimes we think of “fair trade” as being relegated to Third World countries, but it includes our very own ethical responsibilities to small businesses as well.
- Ongoing discounts. Members enjoy 15% off in the Clean Beauty Shop so you can replenish your must-have Beauty Heroes discoveries at a discount.
Every month, I’ve found the selection to exceed my expectations in terms of performance and quality. September is no exception.
This month, members will be rewarded with two superstar products that have long been celebrated in the green beauty world: Kahina Giving Beauty’s Eye Serum ($78) and the Facial Lotion ($37). Naturally, both contain Kahina’s signature organic argan oil in the mix.
The total value of this month’s box is $115, but members get it for $39.
“Holy Miracles, Batman!” ~ Robin
Kahina Giving Beauty
I think of Kahina Giving Beauty as a pioneer in the green beauty industry. Since its inception in 2008, the company was one of the first to harness the rejuvenating power of argan oil and introduce it to the American marketplace.
With “Giving” as its middle name, Kahina also sets itself apart as a brand with heart, establishing an ethical and fair trade business from the get-go.
Founder Katharine L’Heureux travels regularly to Morocco to oversee the fair treatment of the Berber women who extract the argan oil. In addition, a percentage of profits supports programs that improve the lives of these women. You can read about their personal stories—but be prepared to be moved to the core.
“When you decide not to be afraid, you can find friends in super unexpected places.” ~ Ms. Marvel
Her frequent visits also guarantee the integrity of the argan oil that she uses in her line. Not all oils are created equal—a fact that’s reflected in the cost and scent of the oil. Katharine took measures to ensure that the oil she used would retain its beneficial properties by using cold-pressed and organic argan oil extracted from a nut with the pulp and shell in tact. For more info about why that’s crucial, continue reading here. It has to do with goat dung!
What you’ll detect immediately from the line is the fusion of high-performance ingredients with the vibrant flavor of Moroccan culture. The scents of the body oils and soaps draw inspiration from colorful communities that dot the countryside. The etchings you see on the bottles are the actual signatures of the women who extract the argan oil.
In fact, the word “Kahina” is derived from the name of a Berber Queen and prophetess, a symbol of empowerment and a heroine for the Berber women. I couldn’t think of a more appropriate symbol for this indie beauty company!
Kahina Eye Serum
When it comes to Kahina Giving Beauty’s Eye Serum, I experience an awakening eye boost on contact.
The texture—as you can see from the photo above—is completely non-greasy and more of an opaque fluid that isn’t tacky, but rather melts into the eye area. I love the way my eyes instantly revive and feel taut with each application.
Over time, the concentration of plant peptides, argan oil, and antioxidants lift and smooth the eye area to target the major eye concerns of puffiness, dark circles, and fine lines. Expect to rebuild collagen levels and moisture every time you dab it on.
Because of its fast absorbency and scentless formula, the eye serum makes an ideal treatment under makeup, as well as a light-as-air infusion prior to bedtime, allowing it to work its magic overnight.
aqua, betaine,saccharomyces cerevisiae extract, rhodiola rosea root extract [antioxidant protection, stimulate microcirculation], argania spinosa (argan) oil* [lifts and smooths fine lines and prevents new ones from forming],glycerin*, populus tremuloides (aspen) bark extract, caprylic/capric triglyceride, polygonum fagopyrum extract, hexapeptide-11 [increases collagen], sodium hyaluronate [boosts hydration], argania spinosa (argan) leaf extract, maltodextrin, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, hydrogenated lecithin, sclerotium gum, xanthan gum, p-anisic acid *Ingredient from Organic Farming
Kahina Facial Lotion
The changing seasons are optimum times to switch up products. I love adding hydrating balms and creams as winter begins, but prefer a lighter formula at other times of the year. Kahina Giving Beauty’s Facial Lotion is the perfect year-round companion, offering the hydrating properties of a lotion without the heavier barrier protection that my skin will demand later as temperatures drop.
I find the creamy consistency to afford a decent amount of environmental protection and to layer nicely over other treatments like serums, or under sun protection without weighing down my skin with too many products.
As with all Kahina Giving Beauty’s products, the absorbency is a key component and this lotion sinks right in leaving a silky finish in its wake.
water, argan oil*, glycerin, japanese honeysuckle extract*, shea butter*, sodium PCA, sorbitan olivate, xanthan gum, betaine, acacia gum, behenyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, argan leaf extract, lecithin*, beeswax*, phospholipids, glycolipids, soybean oil, soybean sterols, levulinic acid, potassium sorbate, sodium hyaluronate, lactic acid *Ingredient from Organic Farming
Beauty Heroes celebrates its first anniversary
Beauty Heroes recently kicked off its second year by announcing the new name and celebrating with many of the brand founders and superheroes who have partnered with Jeannie Jarnot.
Big things are in store for this nascent company, so get ready for more jaw-dropping boxes! I’m super excited to be an instrumental part of its growth as Brand Ambassador.
“You’re going to make a difference. A lot of times it won’t be huge, it won’t be visible even. But it will matter just the same.” Commissioner James Gordon (Batman).
“If you can’t spend it, money’s just a lot of worthless paper, isn’t it?” ~ Batman
Beauty Heroes would also make an incredible gift for a green beauty newbie or pro—something to keep in mind for birthdays or during the holiday season.