It’s not every day that you find energy mists encouraging Joy, Love, and Pure Energy on display at your pediatrician’s office. So when I discovered Lotus Wei’s sample collection at The Whole Child Center, I knew my family and I needed to own the entire set. As it turns out, our pediatrician, Dr. Lawrence Rosen, discovered the company at a conference and was impressed by founder Katie Hess’ wisdom and knowledge.
Lotus Wei’s flower elixirs, mists and essences evoke the states that you wish to experience at that moment: Inner Peace, Inspired Action, Infinite Love, Joy Juice, Quiet Mind, and Pure Energy. Each can be used simultaneously or interchangeably, as needed or desired. (Personally, I’m hooked on The CAPtivator, an Energy Mist created out of a collaboration between Lotus Wei and CAP Beauty that exudes the exotic scents of sandalwood, neroli, clary sage, gardenia, crown flower, lotus, and black pepper.
If Katie Hess has one core message, it’s this: that flower remedies effortlessly cut through the static of busy life and remind you of how exquisite you are on the inside.
Since falling hard for her wellness philosophy, I decided to travel with her on a Flowerevolution, a flower-powered online community that she hopes will expand into a tipping point of world transformation—with a little help from some healing elixirs.
Every month in the six month period, our group receives a different essence extracted from unique, potent flowers that assist us in unblocking and releasing old patterns, as well as strengthening and conditioning new ones. Thus far, we have taken the following honey-sweetened elixirs:
- Night Blooming Cereus blossoms one night in the year and assists in overcoming fear, taking big leaps, and right timing.
- Desert Mallow flower inspires a soft, radiant heart.
- Currently, we are immersed in the journey of Lilac—allowing the release of attachments through flexibility, freedom, and acceptance.
The changes for me have been nothing short of revolutionary since the very first flower essence inspired me to embark on something I was too afraid to do before, and the next essence forced me to face areas where I have not been treating myself respectfully and with love. Based on the Facebook group that is open to sharing, I’m not the only one experiencing positive changes.
Think it sounds hokey? Think again. The work is rooted in over 15 years of study and observation—and incorporates the healing powers of aroma-therapeutic oils, gemstones, and flower essences that deliver proven results.
Her transformational elixirs have been featured in Oprah Magazine, Sunset, Organic Spa Magazine and custom-created for President Obama. She partners with spas worldwide like Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton and Fairmont Princess, and her line of Lotus Wei products are sold in 12 countries.
As the Lotus Wei website accurately describes it:
Flower essences act as a natural tuning fork — bringing your body back in tune with a subtle electrical vibration.
Before embarking on this transformational journey with Katie Hess, I asked her some questions about how to find the right essence—it’s actually quite simple—as well as her daily beauty and wellness practice.
Can you please explain how a person chooses which essence to use?
Isn’t it wonderful that you and your body always know what you need? You can trust yourself 100 percent.
What changes do people feel while using a particular blend? How long does it take for a person to begin noticing a difference in their mood or temperament?
Being at your best continually with positive states of mind starts to ripple out into every area of your life.
Do you have to use the mist, elixir, and serum of one blend to get the best results? What is the optimum way of using them? If a person were to choose one (either the mist, elixir, or serum), which do you recommend choosing? Does it depend on any factors?
Dr. Edward Bach originally worked with 38 flowers. Do you use all of them in your formulas? Have you discovered many new flower essences?
There are herbs, spices, plants…What led you to working with flowers?
He said that if only three percent of the world’s population was taking flower remedies regularly, that it would create enough of a positive ripple effect that it would change the outcome of the future in a really positive way.
I see flowers as beacons for the vast wisdom of mother earth who is 4.5 billion years old.
Do you take any other supplements in addition to flower essences? What do you do for your health other than using the flower elixirs?
- Organic dark chocolate: Wei of Chocolate.
- Homeopathy + yummy liquid vitamin sprays: Sprayology.
- Loose herbal tonic teas all day long, made by Wisdom Nectar or blended by myself.
- Custom Chinese herbal tinctures from a local Chinese herb specialist in Phoenix.
- Chinese herbal pills from my acupuncturist in New York City.
- I also love Gaia herbal extracts in capsules.
- Is Kombucha a supplement? Haha.
- Daily consistent practice of meditation and mindful-awareness training. I believe that by far this has had the biggest positive effect on my health.
- Walk the dogs. Walking and/or quick run in the morning. Recently I started doing Pilates twice weekly.
- Leisurely swimming in the summer (most everyone in AZ has a pool).
- I also don’t drink any alcohol and avoid white sugar and processed foods—and for the most part I also avoid dairy and gluten.
- I’m very careful and strict about what kind of products I put on my body as well—no parabens, phthalates, artificial fragrances, sulfates or carcinogenic chemicals!
What is your beauty routine like? What products are you currently using?
But for a daily routine – it changes all the time—lately it looks like this:
- Slather a homemade balm on my face made with an infusion of desert herbs.
- Apply lotuswei perfume of choice to hairbrush before brushing.
- Adorn my hair – a friend of mine, Colette Malouf, makes beautiful hair accessories.
- Dry brush body.
If I’m feeling really fancy:
- Apply some color to my eyes with a brush and water – I love the owner of Modern Minerals, and it’s the only eye makeup that doesn’t make my eyes red – my favorite colors are Twilight and Lola.
- RMS concealer. ILIA lipstick or an herbally-tinted chapstick that we made R&D samples of.
- And I like to luxuriate in exquisite natural perfumes that I’ve made but never released to the public—my favorites are fruity florals with warm woods.
If I’m going to be around lots of people:
When I’m traveling:
- Use a silk pillowcase that I dyed with flowers and herbs. Apply lotus wei serums to the bottoms of my feet.
- Wear silk, linen, cotton. Wear jade and gold.
- Spend time in nature, where everything is perfectly exquisite, full of wonder and abundant.
- All of these things make me feel beautiful.
Thank you, Katie, for sharing your answers and for inspiring us in so many beautiful ways.
(Other than the photo of Katie Hess taken from Lotus Wei’s Press Kit, each of the photos is an original taken by me that can be turned into a gorgeous canvas for hanging. If you wish to order one in a specific size, I’d love to work with you. Please write to me here and I will get back to you with pricing based on size of canvas.)